Penny Pincher's Guide to Insuring a Dodge Spirit
If finding cheaper car insurance was fun, we'd make the time to do it regularly. But the reality is, you probably don't enjoy it and you think it costs too much. Insuring your Dodge Spirit is probably no exception.
Step One: Compare Apples-to-Apples Quotes
Years ago, your local insurance agent was the only way to quote a buy a car insurance policy. Now you can compare rates and buy a policy online!
Getting online rate quotes for a Dodge Spirit from all the major insurance companies is very easy and only requires you to enter your information once.
Start a free rate quote comparison now by clicking the link below. Once you complete the short form, you'll be able to compare rates and then move on to our next section on how to lower rates even further.
Important Tip! In order to accurately compare rates for your Spirit, it's critical that you use the same limits and deductibles for liability and physical damage coverages like comprehensive and collision. If you use different limits, you will not be able to accurately compare rates between carriers.
Step Two: Insider Tips for Finding Cheaper Spirit Insurance
There are many factors that actually determine what you will pay for insurance, and some are completely within your control.
- Reduce your rates by buying a car that is not a hot model for car thieves. Certain makes and models are more tempting than others, and high-frequency stolen vehicles get charged a higher rate.
- Insurance companies often give discounts to senior citizens and professional organizations, so if you're one of those, check to see if you qualify.
- If your vehicle comes with safety features such as electronic stability control, head restraints, all-wheel drive or air bags, these all help keep insurance costs down by helping reduce accident injuries.
- Ask your insurance company if there is a discount for completing a driver's safety course. It may get you up to a 10% discount at your next renewal.
- If you have tended to file small claims with your car insurance company in the past, you're most likely going to pay higher premiums in the future. Consider paying minor claims out-of-pocket instead of blemishing your claim history.
- Do not allow your current car insurance coverage to lapse or expire. Insurance companies have a simple way to find out when your last policy ended (called a CLUE report), and if you went without coverage for any length of time you may pay more for coverage.
- The easiest way to INCREASE your car insurance rates is to add a teenage driver to your policy. There aren't many ways to prevent a rate increase, but if you can rate them on an older vehicle, it can help.
- Owning a home takes financial responsibility, and car insurance companies will often give you a break just for being a homeowner.
- Speeding not only costs you a fine, a single ticket will raise your car insurance rates for up to three years. Slow down and be a safe driver and you'll pay lower rates.
- One of the best ways to lower your insurance rates is to raise your credit score. Check your rating once a year and make sure to address any problem areas immediately.
- You can save money on your physical damage coverage (comprehensive and collision) by increasing your deductibles. Higher deductibles mean you are willing to pay more before the insurance company covers a claim.
Step Three: Choose a Company and Bind Coverage
Now that you hopefully have several rates to compare and have made any changes needed to your individual coverages, you can choose the best company to insure your Spirit with.
The key thing to keep in mind when buying a new policy is you do not want your old policy to lapse. Make sure the effective date of the new policy is on or before the expiration date of your current policy.
If the Dodge Spirit is a new purchase and you already have car insurance, then you will have some coverage that extends to the vehicle. But if you let your old policy lapse or have never had coverage, you don't have any protection once you buy the vehicle. Comprehensive (or Other than Collision) and collision coverage will extend to your new Spirit if you current have a vehicle insured with those coverages. If you aren't insured or only carry basic liability coverage, then you will be inadequately insured until you add the vehicle to your policy with full coverage.
The proof-of-insurance card that is required by state law to be carried in your vehicle can be printed out upon completion of your car insurance policy. If you're considered a high-risk driver, having been convicted of a DUI, DWI, reckless driving or had your license suspended, you may need to file a SR-22. Be sure your new company files this form with your state DMV. Failure to do so can result in losing your right to drive.
Consumer Insurance Information
The Insurance Information Institute has a great resource of car insurance articles where you can learn more about coverages and money saving tips. Visit iii.org.
Recent Blog Articles
- Buying Coverage for Your Lexus LS 460 Just Got A Whole Lot Cheaper
- 8 Excellent Ways to Lower Mercedes-Benz CL500 Insurance Premium
- Nissan 350Z Drivers Have the Lowest Auto Insurance Rates
- Aston Martin Vanquish Insurance – 6 Discounts to Lower Rates
- Buying Coverage for Your Ferrari 348 TB Just Got A Whole Lot Cheaper