How to Insure your Volvo XC90 on a Budget
If shopping your car insurance around was fun, we'd do it much more often. But more than likely, it's challenging for most people and we always end up paying more than we want. You probably feel the same way about finding lower cost coverage for your Volvo XC90.
Step One: Insurance Rate Comparison Quotes
If it's been a few years since you shopped for car insurance, you might still think the only way to buy is from a local agent. Not anymore!
All the major car insurance companies sell insurance for a Volvo XC90 and you don't even have to visit each individual website!
Simply click the link below to start a quote that will compare rates from many companies and you may find a lower rate than you're currently paying.
Read this (it's important)! When doing any car insurance quote to compare rates to either your existing policy or to other quotes, it's important to use identical coverages on all quotes. Otherwise you will not be able to accurately determine which company has the lowest rate for your XC90.
Step Two: How to Cut Costs on XC90 Insurance
There are many contributing factors that determine what you pay to insure your Volvo. You can help yourself (and your wallet) by paying attention to the following rate factors.
- If you are a senior citizen or belong to a particular professional organization, you may qualify for a break on insurance.
- Owning a luxury vehicle like your XC90 means you'll pay a little more for insurance due to the higher cost of repair parts.
- Higher deductibles save money. If you can afford to pay a larger portion of a comprehensive or collision claim, you will pay substantially less for those coverages if you increase your deductibles to $500 or even $1,000.
- Car insurance rates for a teen driver on a Volvo XC90 will be expensive no matter what kind of coverage you have. But if you don't need comprehensive and collision, consider dropping those to save money.
- Minor driving violations such as speeding tickets can cause your rates to go up. Too many violations in a short period of time will cause your policy to be non-renewed.
- Newer car models are coming standard with advanced passenger safety systems, and these help reduce the risk of injury in an accident. Less injuries mean lower insurance rates.
- Claims that aren't much more than your deductible are better off just being paid out of pocket. If you get into a habit of filing smaller claims, you will pay for it in higher rates.
- Vehicles that tend to get stolen or have high repair costs will cost you more to insure. If your XC90 falls into either category, it could cost you.
- Good credit will get you lower car insurance rates. Evidence correlates good credit with low claims, so the better you maintain your credit level, the less risk you are to your company.
- If you've recently completed a driver's training or safety course, tell your insurance company. You may qualify for a 5-10% discount.
- Do not allow your current car insurance coverage to lapse or expire. Insurance companies have a simple way to find out when your last policy ended (called a CLUE report), and if you went without coverage for any length of time you may pay more for coverage.
- If you are a renter rather than a homeowner, you might pay a little more to insure your car. Owning a home takes financial repsonsibility and insurance companies reward those policy holders.
Step Three: Select the Best Company for Your Needs
You've compared rates and hopefully looked over the coverages for each vehicle on your policy to make sure they're adequate. Now you can make the big decision on which company will best fulfill your needs.
It's easiest to cancel an old policy at the renewal date, but you can cancel it anytime. Just make sure you have the new policy effective the date you cancel your old policy in order to avoid any lapse in coverage.
If you are adding a vehicle to an existing policy and not buying a new one, just make sure to get the vehicle added as soon as possible. Every insurance company offers a grace period to add new vehicles, so make sure you get the Volvo added prior to the expiration of this grace period. If your current policy has any vehicle with full coverage (comprehensive and collision), then your new XC90 will have that coverage extended to it. If you only have liability coverage on your policy, then you have no physical damage coverage on your new purchase.
Be sure to replace any old proof-of-insurance cards in your car. You must always have the current card in your vehicle as required by state law. If an SR-22 is required due to a reckless driving conviction, DUI or conviction of driving without insurance, make sure your new company is aware of that. Not filing a court-ordered SR-22 can result in suspension of your driver's license.
Additional Insurance Information
To read more about filing a claim, choosing replacement parts, rental car insurance and more, visit the Insurance Information Institute.
Recent Blog Articles
- Insurance Rates Decline for Lincoln Mark VII Drivers
- Five Minute Guide to Lower Saturn SL Insurance on the Web
- Uncover the Best Insurance Rates on a Lexus IS 300
- Top 8 Ways to Save Money on Volvo V40 Insurance
- Isuzu Trooper II Drivers Find the Best Car Insurance Rates