How to Insure your GMC Sierra 2500 Pickup on the Cheap
If buying auto insurance was as easy as it sounds on TV commercials, we'd have no problem getting the lowest rates. But we always seem to pay too much for coverage and most people would rather go to the dentist. You probably feel the same way about finding lower cost coverage for your GMC Sierra 2500 Pickup.
Step One: Compare Multiple Rate Quotes
Up until just recently, the only option you had for shopping for insurance was getting a high pressure sales pitch in the office of your local insurance agent. Times have changed!
Getting online rate quotes for a GMC Sierra 2500 Pickup from all the major insurance companies is very easy and only requires you to enter your information once.
Compare rates now by clicking the link below. In just a few minutes you'll have a good idea of what insurance will cost for your GMC Sierra 2500 Pickup.
Read this (it's important)! When doing any car insurance quote to compare rates to either your existing policy or to other quotes, it's important to use identical coverages on all quotes. Otherwise you will not be able to accurately determine which company has the lowest rate for your Sierra 2500 Pickup.
Step Two: Techniques to Lower your Sierra 2500 Pickup Insurance Rates
If you have completed step one above (if not, please complete that step first), then you are now ready to learn some ways to insure your Sierra 2500 Pickup that will also lower the rate you pay irregardless of which company you choose.
- Many insurance companies will give you a small discount if you've recently completed a driver's training course.
- Insurance companies often give discounts to senior citizens and professional organizations, so if you're one of those, check to see if you qualify.
- If your insurance company allows driver-specific car rating, you can save money by rating any teenage drivers on low profile vehicles with either no physical damage coverage or very high deductibles.
- Small claims that may only exceed your physical damage deductibles by a small amount are better off not being submitted to your company. Just pay the extra hundred dollars or two and keep a claim-free discount on your policy.
- Do you keep your credit rating in good shape? If you do, you will get a better rate than if you let your credit score slide. Check your credit score regularly to make sure there are few blemishes on your record.
- Owning a home takes financial responsibility, and car insurance companies will often give you a break just for being a homeowner.
- You can save money on your physical damage coverage (comprehensive and collision) by increasing your deductibles. Higher deductibles mean you are willing to pay more before the insurance company covers a claim.
- The advancement of car safety features such as traction control, stability control, front and side-impact air bags and all-wheel drive all help keep insurance costs down.
- Speeding not only costs you a fine, a single ticket will raise your car insurance rates for up to three years. Slow down and be a safe driver and you'll pay lower rates.
- Letting your car insurance expire without having new coverage in place is called a "lapse" and will cause your next policy premiums to be higher.
- For some reason, car theives target particular makes and models more than others. If your Sierra 2500 Pickup is on the list of the top stolen cars, you might want to install an extra theft deterrent system just to be safe.
Step Three: Select the Best Company for Your Needs
Car insurance is pretty easy to buy online, but you do need to be aware that it is a legally binding contract. You need to have funds available for a down payment as well as review your coverages for any insufficiencies.
It's easiest to cancel an old policy at the renewal date, but you can cancel it anytime. Just make sure you have the new policy effective the date you cancel your old policy in order to avoid any lapse in coverage.
If this is a new policy with only the GMC on it, be sure to have coverage before leaving the dealership or car lot. If you're adding it to an existing policy, you have anywhere from 15 to 30 days depending on the company. Anytime you buy a vehicle, you want to make sure coverage is in place before driving off the lot. If you have a policy now, you will have at least liability coverage. But if you don't insure any vehicles with full coverage, then you will put your new Sierra 2500 Pickup at risk as soon as you drive away.
The proof-of-insurance card that is required by state law to be carried in your vehicle can be printed out upon completion of your car insurance policy. SR-22 filings are for high risk drivers and ensure that you have met your state's financial responsibility requirements. If you have DUI, DWI or uninsured accident convictions, you may have to file an SR-22 with your state DMV.
For More Information
To read more about filing a claim, choosing replacement parts, rental car insurance and more, visit the Insurance Information Institute.